Friday, January 28, 2005

New Kitchen/ Uni Enrollment

Currently listening: Tripod - Middleborough Rd. (Album)

Firstly congrats to Brian Lara. 156 (136), good work. Helped West Indies to beat (Slaughter) Pakistan, 4/340. This is good. I'd rather see West Indies in the finals than Pakistan, it'd be even better if they beat Aus :p

Anyway, this morning we had a new kitchen installed. Helped my Dad and his Dad (who wanted to help), take out the old one. Had to take out the lino as well, which was rather annoying. Had to take out all the staples holding down the underlay. The new kitchen looks a lot better, except the cupboard that is from the old kitchen. The old one had a pantry-esque cupboard that was built into the wall, which wasn't removed (involved too much work, besides which my mum had designed the new kitchen with it staying there).

I've been doing a lot of work on my cross-stich. You can now see the basic shape of the car ...somewhat :p

Oh yeah...Tuesday was Enrollment day for Sydney Uni. My Dad ended up taking me, so I didn't have to organise getting there myself. Was planning on leaving at about 11am, but didn't end up going till past noon, therefore didn't get to the uni till about 10 till 2pm (Enrollment was from 2pm - 4pm). There was a huge queue to get into the hall where enrollment was taking place, they were only letting a certain amount of people in at once. Finally got in after about 40min queing. Very crowded inside. Had to wait in another queue to get forms, then found a table to sit down at and fill them in, choosing subjects from Handbooks (which we had bought on the way in). I put down Latin as my langauge, and I'm doing biology and chem (X|) units to work towards a major in Marine Science. Also put down two 3 credit point subjects in maths, which I have to do along with a unit of study in english (i put that in the 2nd semester).
Then proceeded through to table to work out cost of everything. Very kindly my parents have told me they will pay for it upfront (thus 20% discount) instead of having to pay it gradually, and will continue to do so while I keep my grades up. If I don't, it will go back to regular HECS payments. Of course, I have to pay them back eventually. My Dad thought it would actually be more money than it was, apparently its the same as a term at my sisters school (while mine pays for a semester).
Had to wait for another 15-20min in data entry queue. Operator guy made me change from the biology course that had assumed knowledge from the HSC one, to the 'fundamentals' one. I'll ask the course professor if I can change it back, I have confidence that I could learn the course in the month and a bit before lectures start. It's not like I have anything else to do. Strangely enough, the operator didn't comment on the 2nd semester course (or change it) even though it had as a prerequisite the one he changed.
After the chaos and loudness of that hall, we then had to go onto another hall. A lot quieter, but more windy...Had to go through 3 queues, one to get all the details checked, the second to actually pay, and the third to get student card (which had rail and citybus concession sticker on it). Have to apply for a private concession card to be able to get to station (until I get my p's, which will be a while).
Hmm...I think I'll email the uni for some advice on my arts major. At the moment I'm thinking of doing medieval studies, or archaeology. I suppose I could major in Latin, but I'm not that confident in language that I would do as well as in an academic subject..>_<;;..I'm regretting not stopping to talk to the advisors that were there, but they were pretty swamped and my dad pointed out I could just contact them later, and change my subjects online.

1 Comments:

At 3:47 pm, Blogger SlippedInsane said...

heh, your sis's school must be expensive. I am now enrolled in comp programming at TAFE and start on monday.....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home