Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Orientation for USYD

Actually went to sleep at a "reasonable" hour in order to get up at the crazy hour of 6:30am *shudders*. Dad dropped me off at Straithfield station on his way to work caught the train (Nearing 8am I think..traffic was pretty bad).
Walked from Redfern Station to Uni campus, barely remembered the way from Chemistry excursion last year and ended up getting there at 8:30, half an hour before it was meant to start. Read book (Uther by Jack Whyte) till 9am when it started to pour rain and thunder and lightning etc. Luckily I had sat down near the library, so I just stood on the veranda and watched the rain. Eventually stopped, so I went to look, rather vacantly, around the various stalls setting up. Ended up in big temporary tent/hall and watched some jazz musicians for a while. Wandered around again (so many religon and political stalls...) and then discovered another set on other side of tent/hall I was just at. Was about to look through them when I bumped into 2 friends from church. Wandered around the stalls with them for a while until 10 when most of the new students crowded into great hall for university welcome. Was rather boring until SRC President got up and started ranting the minute she reached the podium. Very good speaker though, but I wouldn't have dared say some of the things she did...went rather close to insulting the heads of the university (who were sitting behind her on the stage).
Wandered out of hall into main Quadrangle. Looks a lot like Hogwarts (:p), the old castle-like buildings and the grass and trees beneath it. Walked out another entrance with one church friend (other went to course intro) and we went to get timetables. When we got there it is too packed to get them, so went back and rode the dodgem cars (hehe :P) for a while before getting them. I have to go in everyday: earliest 8am (on thurs and fri), with a 10am and two 9am starts. Latest is 3pm with two 1pm's a 2pm and a 12pm.

Joined several 'socities': SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism), a club where you re-enact medieval society; Sutekh, a Dungeon's and Dragon's, RPG etc group; and the EU (Evangelical Union). I didn't really want to join EU, and I don't know why I did. *sighs* I'll try and get out of it, and hopefully they won't keep pestering me to come back...
Also joined the Archaeology Society (since I'm planning on majoring it) and I thinking about doing Archery, the guy at the stall said I just needed to turn up.

1 Comments:

At 6:57 pm, Blogger Kunama said...

w00t. Archery. Do friends of members get to try?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home